Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Grief Relief: Giving yourself a well-earned break!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for being so supportive in my last blog post. I never thought I'd be able to find so much love from this blog--both from friends and total strangers (who now feel like best friends). You're all really valuable to me, and I hope you know that!

I haven't "spoken" to my mom yet, but I do feel stronger, so I know she is looking out for me. Last night I gave myself a well-earned break from the grieving process. I left work at 6PM on the dot (that's considered early in the magazine world!), took a class called "Boot Camp" at my gym (please never ask me to do lunges ever again), and cooked a new recipe (Lentil & Sausage Soup, totally to die for). In between, I jumped and danced around my apartment. After feeling sad for a few days, feeling happy felt AMAZING! Do you know that feeling?

Tonight I'm giving myself another break and heading to a bar that has Trivia Night Tuesdays. I better go study cnn.com so I know some answers and don't seem like a total dunce!

A therapist once told me that grief comes in waves. Boy was she right. The good news is that waves roll in and they roll out. Luckily, this wave has sailed for now, and I'm more than happy to be back on shore with my feet planted in the sand. It's scary during high tide, but no matter what the issue -- grief, stress, a broken heart -- you'll make it through, too.

What do you do to give yourself a break? I won't judge you if your answer is chick flicks.


4 comments:

  1. I can just picture you jumping around in your apartment now, laughing your ass off. Yay!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the idea of grief coming in waves. My father passed away 14 years ago, so my waves come less frequently than they used to. But, they still roll in here and there, and always take me by surprise.

    On another note, I love lentils, and in fact, I had red-lentil curry on Sunday. I'll have to try your soup recipe! -CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been following you since i first read about you and your mom on "life with cancer". i can relate. my mom passed of pancreatic cancer in 2004 and the waves come and go. every may (when she ended up in the hospital) through aug (when she passed)are difficult times for me. my mom was my rock...my best friend...i can tell her anything and everything...and for the past 4 1/2 yrs it's been difficult. my dad passed when i was only 13, but i had my mom, now i feel like an orphan. strange and weird i guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is to let you know that a website www.support4grief.in has been launched for the bereaved. There are simply no words to describe the intense sorrow one goes though after the untimely death of a loved one. Support4grief aims at providing solace and comfort to any family worldwide grieving the loss of a loved one. True healing begins when we have the opportunity to write and share our thoughts and innermost feelings with those who have suffered a similar tragedy. This website enables you to connect, anonymously if you so wish, with people who understand your pain.

    Support4grief also offers a host of information by way of articles for the Bereaved and the Caregivers, Self Help Exercises, Links, Grief and Loss videos, Online advice by expert counselors, FAQs, Discussion forums, Inspirational quotes, Recommended Reading for Grief Recovery, Coping mechanisms and Help lines that provide free, anonymous, unconditional, non judgmental and a confidential listening ear. Moreover, this Hot line facility gives you the freedom to avoid the uneasy feeling of running into a familiar face when meeting with your counselor.

    Please forward the website to your friends, family members or someone who has lost a loved one and help them heal.

    ReplyDelete